From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Robert Osfield
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:04 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] OFT: Interesting commentary of the future of OpenGL

Hi Gordon,

There has been OpenGL RIP stories going ever since Direct3D pocked it's nose
above the parapet.  There all have been off mark - if the stories were true
OpenGL would already be dead, and the OSG community would have deserted it long
ago.  The OSG community is actually still growing, with new members coming on
line each day, and every one of these developers is an OpenGL users.

The only place where Direct3D is strong is under Windows and XBox, considering
market share for Windows is now dwindling (it's dropped from around 95% to less
than 90% in just last couple of few years), rather than OpenGL being more
marginalised it should become important as apps have to become cross platform
or throw away their own market potential.  Think about the market share for non
Windows desktop it's doubled in just a couple of years, this trend is not one
that is likely to reverse but accelerate with new types of devices coming
online as well as Windows desktop alternatives getting stronger by the day.

Then have a look at the embedded space... who's winning there?  OpenGL ES is
totally dominating, as are non Windows OS's.  With the big new opportunities in
3D graphics appearing in the embedded space, this is where pundits should be
focussing, Direct3D vs OpenGL will be just a side show.

So read all these articles in these contexts and you'll see that they aren't
grasping some of the basics of what is happening in the wider industry.  Dig
below the marketing blurbs and you'll see some wider industry trends are far
more important to our future.

Robert.