(resending, as the mail-server had some issues two hours ago)

Hi,
Sylvain MARIE schrieb:

> > I would like to use OSG 2.8 (with Qt 4.5rc1) on Leopard, in 64bit, using
> > the Cocoa framework.
> > That means I need osgViewer to use Cocoa instead of Carbon.
> > I read and tried to understand

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/PlatformSpecifics/MacOSX10.5
and
> > scouted the mailing list.
> > It looks like nobody submitted GraphicsWindowCocoa yet.
> >
> > Before I take the plunge and try to implement GraphicsWindowCocoa (I'm a
> > complete Objective-C newbie), I would like to check with you guys the
> > best approach:

I would download one of the cocoa-samples from apple which demonstrates
the creation of window + opengl context, download the current svn from
SDL and look at its cocoa-implementation and then fill the missing
pieces of a newly created GraphicsWindowCocoa class.

Sure you can borrow bits of code from osgViewerCocoa but they use
different design approaches: osgViewerCocoa embeds an osgViewer into a
NSApplication with their classes, what you want is to embed a NSWindow /
NSOpenGlContext into a GraphicsWindowCocoa class.

> > 4. Use GraphicsWindowCocoa when OSG is compiled in 64 bits on Apple
> > hardware (simple #ifdef in osgViewer/Graphicswindow)

We can even add a flag via WindowData to switch between the two
implementations.

> > 5. Submit the code so more skilled developers pinpoint my errors and get
> > the ball rolling
> >
> > Sounds like a plan ? Did anyone already work on coding the Cocoa backend
> > for osgViewer?

I started one, but stopped it, because there was no really need on my
side, and it's still bare bone without much functionality.

Unfortunately there's some more work to do, some functionality could be
refactored and used by both implementations (the automatic hiding of the
menubar etc)

If you want we can tackle this task together, I have some sparetime
available and know Objective C a bit.

cheers,

Stephan