On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Christian Buchner <
christian.buch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to build OpenSceneGraph 2.8.0 from source, using
> Visual C++ 2008. I noticed a strange effect with the CMake 2.6a build
> system that results in some examples not getting built. I've placed
> OpenScenegraph in a subdirectory of the default Visual Studio 2008
> projects folder and selected the a "build" subdirectory for generating
> the binaries (and project files) separately from source.
>
> D:\Documents and Settings\Christian Buchner\My Documents\Visual Studio
> 2008\Projects\SON\dependencies\openscenegraph-2.8.0\OpenSceneGraph
>
> Some examples with the longest filenames are not getting built. The
> EXE files are missing, yet the .obj files are being created. Visual
> C++ reports a "Compiling..." phase, but omits the "Linking..." phase.
> So I would expect th .EXE files to be generated in the following
> folder
>
> D:\Documents and Settings\Christian Buchner\My Documents\Visual Studio
>
> 2008\Projects\SON\dependencies\openscenegraph-2.8.0\OpenSceneGraph\build\bin
>
> But in my case the following examples have not been built (naturally
> leading to a failure to "build" the INSTALL project)
> osganimationskinning
> osganimationtimeline
> osgmultiplerendertargets
> osgmultitexturecontrol
> osgpackeddepthstencil
> osgwidgetperformance
>
> Now the questions are - who is to blame and how can we fix it?
> - myself for making too long paths?
> - CMake ?
> - Visual Studio 2008 (Standard) ?
> - Windows ?
>
> If anyone has run into similar problems and/or knows a remedy, please
> let me know.
>
> In the mean time I will such things as shortening the path, for
> example by renaming "dependencies" to "deps" and "build" to "bld". I
> would definitely like to stay in the default location for Visual
> Studio projects - and I also want to keep my Windows user name ;-)

I would try CMake 2.6.3 and see if the problem persists.  If it doesn't go
away you could try to reproduce using a small CMakeLists.txt file to confirm
the character limit problem.  It's entirely possible it could also be
something with Visual Studio or your machine.

There is this thread, but I don't think it's your problem.
http://www.mail-archive.com/cm...@cmake.org/msg15377.html

--
Philip Lowman