The system cmake file for FreeType on OS/X is /Applications/CMake\
2.6-3.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindFreetype.cmake

and it does set the variables:

# set the user variables
IF(FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build AND FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2)
  SET(FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS
"${FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build};${FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2}")
ENDIF(FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build AND FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2)
SET(FREETYPE_LIBRARIES "${FREETYPE_LIBRARY}")

# handle the QUIETLY and REQUIRED arguments and set FREETYPE_FOUND to TRUE if
# all listed variables are TRUE
INCLUDE(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs)
FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS(Freetype  DEFAULT_MSG  FREETYPE_LIBRARY
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS)

MARK_AS_ADVANCED(FREETYPE_LIBRARY FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build)

That last MARK_AS_ADVANCED line looks hinky to me, btw.

I put in a quick disabling of freetype (setting FOUND_FREETYPE to NO) in the
OSG version of this cmake file.  If it fails to build, then I'd venture a guess
that cmake is grabbing it's own cmake file instead of the OSG version.