I don't know what the specific build issue is as I believe the local
FindFreeType.cmake module should be searched for first, but I thought I
would share some history.

Originally there was no FindFreeType.cmake module in CMake. I wrote the
original one for OpenSceneGraph and then submitted it to CMake. Quickly
after, the KDE people got mad at me because they had their own
FindFreetype.cmake module they were planning to submit which was not
completely compatible with ours. Mine was better because it didn't rely on
running freetype-config (bad for cross-compiling), and got the
capitalization of "FreeType" correct. But because KDE is bigger than
OpenSceneGraph, we lost.

There was a promise that they would take the better elements of mine (e.g.
no dependency on freetype-config) and duplicate variables to allow our stuff
to still work, but it could be that those variables have since been removed.
(I was told our variables would be considered deprecated.)

-Eric