And I am using threading by subject and so they all end up in the same thread... but they are out of context within that thread since Thunderbird doesn't know which specific post to drop them off of.

A little annoying but at least it's a clear indicator that it is a forum post... and therefore likely to be only one or two lines without any inline reference to the previous post... and along the lines of "Yeah, me too." or "fifth post!!!"... :) I kid because I care. ;)

-Paul

Paul Melis wrote:
Hi,

Art Tevs wrote:
hmm, yes it seems there are no In-Reply-To header tag, when a message is sent through the forum. But I has never recieved any threading issue with the message, since my mail client is able to thread them by the subject. You are first who raised this issue ;), maybe your mail client has to be setted up properly,
Actually, I use thunderbird and have specifically disabled threading-by-subject, as it simply does not work well enough and I have too many other mailboxes besides OSG where threading-by-subject would lead to incorrect results. I'm not going to enable it globally (and there doesn't seem to be a way in thunderbird to enable thread-by-subject for a single mailbox). It happens quite frequently that a new thread is started with a subject that matches an older thread. With threading-by-subject the new messages will end up in the existing (unrelated) thread and therefore in the wrong place. Using the in-reply-to headers is the only reliable way to thread, although a few heuristics could probably help here.

Paul