Geoff wrote:
I am having a little bit of an issue with some of my files. I have a
database that is in FLT format. I can load it into my program, and it
takes a while, but when I query the height at a given x,y location, I
get the proper values.

Now, i have taken this file and converted it using the osgconv.exe
into an IVE file for better performance. This works well when loading
it into my viewer, but when I try and query the height at a given x,y,
the values I get back are erratic and not remotely close to what i am
looking for.

is there some way that the units in the ive could be getting messed up
(or does it even have a notion of units) and if not, what do I need to
do to make sure the number that I get returned is in Feet?
The openflight plugin seems to support a number of options related to units and conversion (see below).
Perhaps osgconv -O noUnitsConversion file.flt file.ive is what you want...

Paul

>osgconv --formats

[...]

Plugin /home/paul/osg2.6/lib/osgPlugins-2.6.1/osgdb_openflight.so
{
   ReaderWriter : FLT Reader/Writer
   {
extensions : .flt OpenFlight format
       options    : billboardCenter                         Import option
       options    : clampToEdge                             Import option
       options    : convertToFeet                           Import option
       options    : convertToInches                         Import option
       options    : convertToKilometers                     Import option
       options    : convertToMeters                         Import option
       options    : convertToNauticalMiles                  Import option
       options    : dofAnimation                            Import option
       options    : keepExternalReferences                  Import option
options : lighting=<ON|OFF> Export option: Specifies a default enable/disable state for lighting, for Nodes in the exported scene graph that don't set it explicitly. By default, the exporter assumes lighting is enabled (GL_LIGHTING ON). Set this to either ON or OFF. Example: "lighting=OFF".
       options    : noTextureAlphaForTransparancyBinning    Import option
       options    : noUnitsConversion                       Import option
       options    : preserveFace                            Import option
       options    : preserveObject                          Import option
       options    : readObjectRecordData                    Import option
options : stripTextureFilePath Export option: If present in the Options string, the exporter strips the path from texture file names, and writes only the texture file name to the FLT Texture Palette. By default, the exporter doesn't strip the path, and the name written to the Texture Palette is taken directly from the osg::Image object referenced by the osg::Texture2D StateAttribute. options : tempDir=<dir> Export option: Specifies the directory to use for creation of temporary files. If not specified, the directory is taken from the file name. If the file doesn't contain a path, the current working directory is used. Applications should set this to the name of their app-specific temp directory. If the path contains spaces, use double quotes to ensure correct parsing. Examples: "tempDir=/tmp", "tempDir="C:\My Temp Dir". options : units=<units> Export option: Specifies the contents of the Units field of the OpenFliht header record. Valid values include INCHES, FEET, METERS, KILOMETERS, and NATICAL_MILES. Default is METERS. Example: "units=METERS". options : validate Export option: If present in the Options string, the plugin does not write an OpenFlight file. Instead, it returns an indication of the scene graph's suitability for OpenFlight export. options : version=<ver> Export option: Specifies the version of the output OpenFlight file. Supported values include 15.7, 15.8, and 16.1. Default is 16.1. Example: "version=15.8".
   }
   ReaderWriter : ATTR Image Attribute Reader/Writer
   {
       extensions : .attr   OpenFlight texture attribute format
   }
}