Hi Martin, Jose-Luis Hidalgo

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Martin Beckett <m...@mgbeckett.com> wrote:
> A user on general pointed out that the windows binary links on
> http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Downloads
> point to the directory not the file and they can't access them.

I noticed. I can't browse the download section either. I suppose
Jose-Luis is securing the server (which is a good thing). If we can't
access the folder we should provide some other way to browse the
packages.

> It also seems that windows binaries are packed as .tar.gz - could we make
> them .zip? Windows users that are downloading binaries are unlikely to have
> cygwin/ming tools installed.

It is possible. But we agreed early in the packaging support
development to go with tar.gz across all platforms since few modern
archiving tools for windows doesn't support tar.gz. I recommend
http://www.7-zip.org/

That said - windows has inbuilt support for zip archives so I can see
where you are coming from. On the other hand if you are doing
development of any kind you'll need some archiving tool sooner or
later and 7-zip is pretty good (open, support for many formats, simple
(gui and usage), small footprint). It's all I need (right now at
least).

Mattias