Hi J-S, Martin,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> It also seems that windows binaries are packed as .tar.gz - could we make
>> them .zip? Windows users that are downloading binaries are unlikely to have
>> cygwin/ming tools installed.
>
> Most unzip tools support tarballs - 7-zip, winrar, etc. You could argue that
> Windows has native support for zip, but really, who uses that? Most people I
> know install 7-zip (it's open source) as soon as they start setting up a new
> machine. Pretty much the first thing to do on a new machine.
>
> I think it was done like that for consistency. I don't know if it would be
> hard to package to .zip on Windows and to .tar.gz on Linux/MacOS? Perhaps
> Mattias could help here since he did the packaging.

Wouldn't be hard at all. It's a matter of
if(WIN32)
set(CPACK_GENERATOR "ZIP")
else()
set(CPACK_GENERATOR "TGZ")
endif()

To late for 2.8.0 but definitely possible in 2.8.1. Personally I
prefer the consistency of shipping tgz for all platforms but recognize
the fact that many windows users are (still) accustomed to having zip
archives supplied. On the other hand (again) we are not providing a
basic app that everyone should be able to use (and unpack) but a
fairly advanced development tool. One should also consider that so
far, and it's been a few weeks now, this is the first request for zip
archives.

This is a q about user-friendliness so perhaps others would care to
have an opinion. If the support for zip archives is demanded to some
degree (and Robert approves) I'll be happy to implement it in our
build scripts.

cheers
Mattias