Well, it didntt work for me. :-(

I'm actaully calling osg::viewer::frame() a few 100x / ms, I turned off
DisplayLists for the geometry, did not call setVertexArray(vad), did not call
dirtyDisplayList() and the line is not being drawn at all now.

I've tried leaving setDisplayList (true) and calling the method
dirtyDisplayList() and not calling setVertexArray(vad).  That doesn't work
either.

Nothing has worked so far except to call setVertexArray(vad);

In my mind, the method, dirtyDisplayList() should 1) dirty my display list 2)
rebuild it and therefore during the next draw sequence of the viewer, the line
should be drawn.  But that simply is not the case.

My best guess is: Some flag w/in the Geometry/Drawable is not being set to
"dirty" and some flag is not being set to "redaw" once the Geometry/Drawable is
dirty.  That's the nearest I can tell.

Do you have any more suggestions? [Question] Thx....

code to "draw line" after initial setup ----------

  osg::Vec3Array *vad = dynamic_cast<osg::Vec3Array *>
    (m_ogeomTrailGeometry->getVertexArray());
  vad->push_back(osg::Vec3(x,y,z));

  osg::DrawArrays *drArrys = dynamic_cast<osg::DrawArrays *>
    (m_ogeomTrailGeometry->getPrimitiveSet(0));
  drArrys->setFirst(0);
  drArrys->setCount(vad->size());
  m_ogeomTrailGeometry->dirtyDisplayList(); // doesn't work

  // m_ogeomTrailGeometry->setVertexArray(vad); // works  when uncommented