Hi J-S -- I have a similar issue in one of my apps. I have a large scene
(VPB database) with some geometry right in front of the eye (which I draw in
eye coordinate space). So the near plane must be very close to the eye and
the far plane extremely distant.

I currently disable autocompute and set a large far plane value and a small
near plane value, but this results in z fighting.

To solve this in OpenGL, I'd use two projection matrices, one for the planet
and one for the very close eye space geometry. The equivalent to this in
OpenGL would be to use two Camera nodes. I haven't had time to code this up
yet, but I'm certain it will address the issue. The first camera will auto
compute near and far based on the planet, then the second camera will clear
the depth buffer, will auto compute based on the eye space geometry, and
will render that geometry.

Seems like you could do something similar with your skydome. Use a camera to
render the skydome, then a second camera to render everything else in your
scene.

(By the way, to "set" the near and far plane values, you set the projection
matrix. OSG abstracts this away to make them look like two separate
concepts, which is why we have a FAQ on "why does OSG seem to ignore my near
and far values?" The answer is that OSG, by default, autocomputes the near
and far planes and overrides those values as set by an application that
explicitly sets the projection matrix.)

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com