Hi Rocardo & JS,

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
>> don't you think TinyXml (or its close relative TinyXml++, that also
>> support iterators, templates, exceptions and other c++ friendly features)
>> would be a nice alternative?
>
> Considering it took me all of about a day to write, and it was my own code
> (i.e. I didn't need to learn to use it) I think it was fine at the time. Now
> I might make a different decision.
>
> I'm not the one to make decisions related to what to include into OSG, so as
> for why Robert didn't use TinyXML/TinyXML++ for his XML parsing for
> Present3D, I imagine he'll see this and answer. Though we're getting
> massively off topic for this thread...

I've never used TinyXML/TinyXML++.  I'm certainly open to adopting a
more capable XML parser than the one I've written so far.   I'd rather
not add yet another external dependency for core OSG features, which
is why I opted to roll my own XML parser for Present3D (and the .p3d
plugin) rather using libxml2.

Merging TinyXML/TInyXML++ into the core OSG might be a reasonable
thing to do, but only if it's easier to understand and maintain than
rolling this code ourselves.  My experience with a writing quick XML
parser suggests that this tasks isn't a big one.

In the context of port our Collada plugin across to use our own .dae
parsing code I think that the low level parsing code itself is an
order of magnitude less work that the actual work on the dae side.
Tweaking the XML parser classes to support that type of files that
we'll get with dae may well be advantageous i.e. we can make our
parser Matrix/Vec/OSG object aware.