From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Jean-Sébastien Guay
[jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:16 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Problems with FBOs when taking high    resolution
screenshots.

Hi Jesper,

 > In both cases this occors when the screenshot
> is larger than 2048x2048 pixels. The lower-left 2048x2048 pixels of the
> screenshot are always correct, but the rest is black.

I'd guess you're hitting a texture or FBO size limitation in the
graphics cards your clients are running on. NVidia generally supports up
to 4096x4096 (newer cards even go to 8192x8192 or more) but other
manufacturers place different constraints.

I think you can quert GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE or something like that to get
the maximum size supported by the current driver (make sure you have an
OpenGL context current when you try to query). Then you could limit your
app to taking screenshots of that size. If the driver reports it
correctly and doesn't lie, it would avoid the partially black screenshots.

As a first step you could make a small app that checks that value to see
if that's really the problem.

Hope this helps,

J-S