Hi Chris -- What do you know, another opportunity to discuss BRDF textures.
(I mentioned this to Christian in a separate thread when he was looking for
ways to draw realistic coins with relief detail.)

The good news about BRDFs is that they were covered in the orange book, so
GLSL source should be available at the book's web site:
http://www.3dshaders.com/home/ (I know it was in the first edition, not sure
about the second). Also, BRDFs handle your low angle-of-incidence issue
cleanly.

The bad news is that generating the BRDF texture images is no easy task.
About the time I left HP, I believe they were working on patenting a machine
for snapping BRDF texture images from actual small-ish 3D objects. The
machine was a small dome about a meter in diameter. Of course, you could
capture the images using screen shots of a virtual object and thereby avoid
the need for any such physical hardware.

Feel free to pick my (or Mike Weiblen's) brain on this, as we both have some
familiarity with the algorithm. (Go Colorado OSG Users!)

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com
+1 303 859 9466