Jose Luis Hidalgo wrote:
> Hi All,
>    We've had a problem with the host of our OSG virtual machine, looks
> like we are having problems with the vmware that we are currently
> using. I'm considering the possibility to move to another
> virtualization technology , like libvirt, does any of you have insight
> into wich one is better?

  FWIW, I've been running Xen as my reactualizations layer for a while and have
been happy
with it. I experimented with VirtualBox and VMWare (and qemu, but it's not what
I'd really
consider a serious virtualization contender).

  I know KVM is popular with the Linux kernel crowd, but it didn't seem as
mature, and to
me it seemed more like a "desktop" virtualization solution than a
run-lots-of-VMs-on-a-headless-server solution. I could be wrong though.

  Xen is mature and stable, and is used by Amazon's EC computing cloud to run
tens of
thousands of virtual machines, so I figured that was a good endorsement. Xen
can be faster
than other VM solutions if you run an OS that can be made Xen-aware (like
Linux) and
cooperative. If you choose to pursue Xen, I can offer a few tips.

  Thanks for your hard work keeping the site running.