Hi Gordon,

I've just tracked down the original posts from Mark and have looked at
his sample and suggested fix.  The fix hasn't been merged, nor a
variation on it.  I vaguely remember the thread, but not any
resolution, it might be that I was swept away by other work so didn't
chase it up.

I've just tried to reproduce the problem using the Sample.cpp but
unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem on my ATI based system as
it does have full support for non power of two with mipmapping.  I've
followed the logic of the related generate mipmap code and can see how
it would fail, and why Mark's suggest should address this failure.

The failure looks to have been due to introduction of more "advanced"
mipmap generation support, which probably worked in some usage
combinations but not all.

I have taken the essence of Mark's fixed and applied to Texture2D.cpp,
could you test this as I can't reproduce the problem to know whether
it's been fixed or not.

Robert.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Tomlinson, Gordon
<gtomlin...@overwatch.textron.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Were having problems with textures that are non power of 2 or power 2 if
> we use   m_texture->setResizeNonPowerOfTwoHint(false);
> we get no texture
>
> The engineer who spotted this says this post
> http://www.mail-archive.com/osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org/msg15206.html
> had a fix but looks like it never made it submission or was maybe rejects ,
> does any one elsehave this issue,  was this fix  ever applied  ?
>
> Fails in 2.8
> Works in 2.3/4
>

> Gordon
> Product Manager 3d
> Gordon Tomlinson
> Email  : gtomlinso...@ overwatch.textron.com
> (C): (+1) 571-265-2612
> (W): (+1) 703-437-7651
>
> "Self defence is not a function of learning tricks
> but is a function of how quickly and intensely one
> can arouse one's instinct for survival"
> - Master Tambo Tetsura

/* -*-c++-*- OpenSceneGraph - Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Robert Osfield
 *
 * This library is open source and may be redistributed and/or modified under
 * the terms of the OpenSceneGraph Public License (OSGPL) version 0.0 or
 * (at your option) any later version.  The full license is in LICENSE file
 * included with this distribution, and on the openscenegraph.org website.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 * OpenSceneGraph Public License for more details.
*/

#include <osg/GLExtensions>
#include <osg/Texture2D>
#include <osg/ImageSequence>
#include <osg/State>
#include <osg/Notify>
#include <osg/GLU>

using namespace osg;

Texture2D::Texture2D():
            _textureWidth(0),
            _textureHeight(0),
            _numMipmapLevels(0)
{
    setUseHardwareMipMapGeneration(true);
}

Texture2D::Texture2D(Image* image):
            _textureWidth(0),
            _textureHeight(0),
            _numMipmapLevels(0)
{
    setUseHardwareMipMapGeneration(true);
    setImage(image);
}

Texture2D::Texture2D(const Texture2D& text,const CopyOp& copyop):
            Texture(text,copyop),
            _image(copyop(text._image.get())),
            _textureWidth(text._textureWidth),
            _textureHeight(text._textureHeight),
            _numMipmapLevels(text._numMipmapLevels),
            _subloadCallback(text._subloadCallback)
{
}

Texture2D::~Texture2D()
{
}

int Texture2D::compare(const StateAttribute& sa) const
{
    // check the types are equal and then create the rhs variable
    // used by the COMPARE_StateAttribute_Parameter macro's below.
    COMPARE_StateAttribute_Types(Texture2D,sa)

    if (_image!=rhs._image) // smart pointer comparison.
    {
        if (_image.valid())
        {
            if (rhs._image.valid())
            {
                int result = _image->compare(*rhs._image);
                if (result!=0) return result;
            }
            else
            {
                return 1; // valid lhs._image is greater than null.
            }
        }
        else if (rhs._image.valid())
        {
            return -1; // valid rhs._image is greater than null.
        }
    }

    if (!_image && !rhs._image)
    {
        // no image attached to either Texture2D
        // but could these textures already be downloaded?
        // check the _textureObjectBuffer to see if they have been
        // downloaded

        int result = compareTextureObjects(rhs);
        if (result!=0) return result;
    }

    int result = compareTexture(rhs);
    if (result!=0) return result;

    // compare each parameter in turn against the rhs.
#if 1
    if (_textureWidth != 0 && rhs._textureWidth != 0)
    {
        COMPARE_StateAttribute_Parameter(_textureWidth)
    }
    if (_textureHeight != 0 && rhs._textureHeight != 0)
    {
        COMPARE_StateAttribute_Parameter(_textureHeight)
    }
#endif
    COMPARE_StateAttribute_Parameter(_subloadCallback)

    return 0; // passed all the above comparison macro's, must be equal.
}

void Texture2D::setImage(Image* image)
{
    if (_image == image) return;

    if (dynamic_cast<osg::ImageSequence*>(_image.get()))
    {
        setUpdateCallback(0);
        setDataVariance(osg::Object::STATIC);
    }

    _image = image;
    _modifiedCount.setAllElementsTo(0);

    if (dynamic_cast<osg::ImageSequence*>(_image.get()))
    {
        setUpdateCallback(new ImageSequence::UpdateCallback());
        setDataVariance(osg::Object::DYNAMIC);
    }
}

void Texture2D::apply(State& state) const
{

    //state.setReportGLErrors(true);

    // get the contextID (user defined ID of 0 upwards) for the
    // current OpenGL context.
    const unsigned int contextID = state.getContextID();

    // get the texture object for the current contextID.
    TextureObject* textureObject = getTextureObject(contextID);

    if (textureObject != 0)
    {
        textureObject->bind();

        if (getTextureParameterDirty(state.getContextID()))
            applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

        if (_subloadCallback.valid())
        {
            _subloadCallback->subload(*this,state);
        }
        else if (_image.valid() && getModifiedCount(contextID) != _image->getModifiedCount())
        {
            applyTexImage2D_subload(state,GL_TEXTURE_2D,_image.get(),
                                    _textureWidth, _textureHeight, _internalFormat, _numMipmapLevels);

            // update the modified tag to show that it is up to date.
            getModifiedCount(contextID) = _image->getModifiedCount();

        }
        else if (_readPBuffer.valid())
        {
            _readPBuffer->bindPBufferToTexture(GL_FRONT);
        }

    }
    else if (_subloadCallback.valid())
    {

        _textureObjectBuffer[contextID] = textureObject = generateTextureObject(contextID,GL_TEXTURE_2D);

        textureObject->bind();

        applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

        _subloadCallback->load(*this,state);

        textureObject->setAllocated(_numMipmapLevels,_internalFormat,_textureWidth,_textureHeight,1,0);

        // in theory the following line is redundent, but in practice
        // have found that the first frame drawn doesn't apply the textures
        // unless a second bind is called?!!
        // perhaps it is the first glBind which is not required...
        //glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, handle );

    }
    else if (_image.valid() && _image->data())
    {

        // keep the image around at least till we go out of scope.
        osg::ref_ptr<osg::Image> image = _image;

        // compute the internal texture format, this set the _internalFormat to an appropriate value.
        computeInternalFormat();

        // compute the dimensions of the texture.
        computeRequiredTextureDimensions(state,*image,_textureWidth, _textureHeight, _numMipmapLevels);

        _textureObjectBuffer[contextID] = textureObject = generateTextureObject(
                contextID,GL_TEXTURE_2D,_numMipmapLevels,_internalFormat,_textureWidth,_textureHeight,1,0);

        textureObject->bind();

        applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

        if (textureObject->isAllocated())
        {
            //notify(NOTICE)<<"Reusing texture object"<<std::endl;
            applyTexImage2D_subload(state,GL_TEXTURE_2D,image.get(),
                                 _textureWidth, _textureHeight, _internalFormat, _numMipmapLevels);
        }
        else
        {
            //notify(NOTICE)<<"Creating new texture object"<<std::endl;
            applyTexImage2D_load(state,GL_TEXTURE_2D,image.get(),
                                 _textureWidth, _textureHeight, _numMipmapLevels);

            textureObject->setAllocated(true);
        }

        // update the modified tag to show that it is upto date.
        getModifiedCount(contextID) = image->getModifiedCount();

        if (_unrefImageDataAfterApply && areAllTextureObjectsLoaded() && image->getDataVariance()==STATIC)
        {
            Texture2D* non_const_this = const_cast<Texture2D*>(this);
            non_const_this->_image = 0;
        }

        // in theory the following line is redundent, but in practice
        // have found that the first frame drawn doesn't apply the textures
        // unless a second bind is called?!!
        // perhaps it is the first glBind which is not required...
        //glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, handle );

    }
    else if ( (_textureWidth!=0) && (_textureHeight!=0) && (_internalFormat!=0) )
    {
        _textureObjectBuffer[contextID] = textureObject = generateTextureObject(
                contextID,GL_TEXTURE_2D,_numMipmapLevels,_internalFormat,_textureWidth,_textureHeight,1,0);

        textureObject->bind();

        applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

        // no image present, but dimensions at set so lets create the texture
        glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, _internalFormat,
                     _textureWidth, _textureHeight, _borderWidth,
                     _sourceFormat ? _sourceFormat : _internalFormat,
                     _sourceType ? _sourceType : GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
                     0);

        if (_readPBuffer.valid())
        {
            _readPBuffer->bindPBufferToTexture(GL_FRONT);
        }

    }
    else
    {
        glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0 );
    }

    // if texture object is now valid and we have to allocate mipmap levels, then
    if (textureObject != 0 && _texMipmapGenerationDirtyList[contextID])
    {
        generateMipmap(state);
    }
}

void Texture2D::computeInternalFormat() const
{
    if (_image.valid()) computeInternalFormatWithImage(*_image);
    else computeInternalFormatType();
}

void Texture2D::copyTexImage2D(State& state, int x, int y, int width, int height )
{
    const unsigned int contextID = state.getContextID();

    if (_internalFormat==0) _internalFormat=GL_RGBA;

    // get the globj for the current contextID.
    TextureObject* textureObject = getTextureObject(contextID);

    if (textureObject)
    {
        if (width==(int)_textureWidth && height==(int)_textureHeight)
        {
            // we have a valid texture object which is the right size
            // so lets play clever and use copyTexSubImage2D instead.
            // this allows use to reuse the texture object and avoid
            // expensive memory allocations.
            copyTexSubImage2D(state,0 ,0, x, y, width, height);
            return;
        }
        // the relevent texture object is not of the right size so
        // needs to been deleted
        // remove previously bound textures.
        dirtyTextureObject();
        // note, dirtyTextureObject() dirties all the texture objects for
        // this texture, is this right?  Perhaps we should dirty just the
        // one for this context.  Note sure yet will leave till later.
        // RO July 2001.
    }

    // remove any previously assigned images as these are nolonger valid.
    _image = NULL;

    // switch off mip-mapping.
    //
    _textureObjectBuffer[contextID] = textureObject = generateTextureObject(contextID,GL_TEXTURE_2D);

    textureObject->bind();

    applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

    bool needHardwareMipMap = (_min_filter != LINEAR && _min_filter != NEAREST);
    bool hardwareMipMapOn = false;
    if (needHardwareMipMap)
    {
        hardwareMipMapOn = isHardwareMipmapGenerationEnabled(state);

        if (!hardwareMipMapOn)
        {
            // have to switch off mip mapping
            notify(NOTICE)<<"Warning: Texture2D::copyTexImage2D(,,,,) switch off mip mapping as hardware support not available."<<std::endl;
            _min_filter = LINEAR;
        }
    }

    GenerateMipmapMode mipmapResult = mipmapBeforeTexImage(state, hardwareMipMapOn);

    glCopyTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, _internalFormat, x, y, width, height, 0 );

    mipmapAfterTexImage(state, mipmapResult);

    _textureWidth = width;
    _textureHeight = height;
    _numMipmapLevels = 1;

    textureObject->setAllocated(_numMipmapLevels,_internalFormat,_textureWidth,_textureHeight,1,0);

    // inform state that this texture is the current one bound.
    state.haveAppliedTextureAttribute(state.getActiveTextureUnit(), this);
}

void Texture2D::copyTexSubImage2D(State& state, int xoffset, int yoffset, int x, int y, int width, int height )
{
    const unsigned int contextID = state.getContextID();

    if (_internalFormat==0) _internalFormat=GL_RGBA;

    // get the texture object for the current contextID.
    TextureObject* textureObject = getTextureObject(contextID);

    if (textureObject)
    {
        // we have a valid image
        textureObject->bind();

        applyTexParameters(GL_TEXTURE_2D,state);

        bool needHardwareMipMap = (_min_filter != LINEAR && _min_filter != NEAREST);
        bool hardwareMipMapOn = false;
        if (needHardwareMipMap)
        {
            hardwareMipMapOn = isHardwareMipmapGenerationEnabled(state);

            if (!hardwareMipMapOn)
            {
                // have to switch off mip mapping
                notify(NOTICE)<<"Warning: Texture2D::copyTexImage2D(,,,,) switch off mip mapping as hardware support not available."<<std::endl;
                _min_filter = LINEAR;
            }
        }

        GenerateMipmapMode mipmapResult = mipmapBeforeTexImage(state, hardwareMipMapOn);

        glCopyTexSubImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, xoffset, yoffset, x, y, width, height);

        mipmapAfterTexImage(state, mipmapResult);

        // inform state that this texture is the current one bound.
        state.haveAppliedTextureAttribute(state.getActiveTextureUnit(), this);

    }
    else
    {
        // no texture object already exsits for this context so need to
        // create it upfront - simply call copyTexImage2D.
        copyTexImage2D(state,x,y,width,height);
    }
}

void Texture2D::allocateMipmap(State& state) const
{
    const unsigned int contextID = state.getContextID();

    // get the texture object for the current contextID.
    TextureObject* textureObject = getTextureObject(contextID);

    if (textureObject && _textureWidth != 0 && _textureHeight != 0)
    {
        // bind texture
        textureObject->bind();

        // compute number of mipmap levels
        int width = _textureWidth;
        int height = _textureHeight;
        int numMipmapLevels = Image::computeNumberOfMipmapLevels(width, height);

        // we do not reallocate the level 0, since it was already allocated
        width >>= 1;
        height >>= 1;

        for( GLsizei k = 1; k < numMipmapLevels  && (width || height); k++)
        {
            if (width == 0)
                width = 1;
            if (height == 0)
                height = 1;

            glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, k, _internalFormat,
                     width, height, _borderWidth,
                     _sourceFormat ? _sourceFormat : _internalFormat,
                     _sourceType ? _sourceType : GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

            width >>= 1;
            height >>= 1;
        }