I think I just found some code that would do what I want. Let me know if there
is a better way of doing this both in regard of the custom active area and the
drag issue.

So I found this in osgManipulator but I belive I could use this code
independantly of it. The idea is to add a cull callback that does nothing and
returns true.

Code:

class ForceCullCallback : public osg::Drawable::CullCallback
{
     public:
        virtual bool cull(osg::NodeVisitor*, osg::Drawable*, osg::State*) const
        {
            return true;
        }
};

void osgManipulator::setDrawableToAlwaysCull(osg::Drawable& drawable)
{
    ForceCullCallback* cullCB = new ForceCullCallback;
    drawable.setCullCallback (cullCB);
}