Not sure if this is the same problem:
I had a somehow similar problem of deployment (plugin not loading in deployed machine WITHOUT redist)
It has happened both on vs8 and vs9.
I somehow solved the problem of osgdb_osg and ive plugins not loading by copying the needed msoft dlls and manifests in osgPlugins-2.9.6 (awful hack .... to be solved....) For other plugins, I compile my version of jpeg,curl and freetype into static lib from source using cmake via the cmakeports project

http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/

So I do not need to use external dll that could have been built with a different build chain.

I do not think the USE_3RDPARTY_BIN is related, If I remeber well, it is just a hint on Cmake to search external libs in a side library... Nevertheless, you should be able to see which external libs have been got by using advanced view in the cmake gui

Hope it helps

Luigi

Alessandro Terenzi wrote:
Thank you for your help,
I already tryed to set the notify level to debug and, as far as I understand, plugins are
always discovered but the only error message I see is DynamicLibrary::fail loading
"..." no further detail is provided.

I just had to try to install the redistributables for Visual c++ 2005 SP1 on
the deployment machine (even though I was providing my application with a
manifest and corrensponding CRT), so I tried it but again this not solved the
problem...actually on every deployment machine the installation of the
redistributable looks not so 'polite' because it strarts but doesn't display a
completion message, so I'm not so sure about a successful installation...

Tried also the dependency walker tool on the target machine, and some DLL are
not found but they are the same as the RGB plugin that works. The missing DLL
is DWMAPI.DLL, don't know what it is for...

Don't know if this could relate to this problem, but in CMake I see the
USE_3RDPARTY_BIN set to ON by default...what does it mean?

Thank you again...
Kind regards,
Alessandro