One thing I've noticed recently is that there is no central organization of
OSG-related
code that is not part of the actual core OSG SVN.

  I'm referring to both complete projects (things like osgAL, osgVRPN, etc) and
just
snippets like "here's a visitor that squooshes models into mashed potatoes".

  There's alot of stuff in various FAQs, in forum threads and other random
places.

  I'm thinking it might take two forms. one would be a section of the Wiki for
code
snippets, organized by some sort of categorization. This is pretty easy.

  The second part is more complex. As an analogy, if we consider the Linux
kernel versus a
Linux distribution (like Debian for example). OSG is currently like the kernel
-- it needs
to be complete and internally consistently tested. A new kernel should have no
bugs in the
portions of code considered the "kernel", but doesn't especially care about
failures
relating to things outside the kernel but considered part of the
"distribution". As an
example, Linus doesn't especially worry about whether a kernel change breaks a
distribution application like, for example, KOffice.

  What i'm trying to get it is I think it would be good to draw together some
of the more
significant OSG-related projects (like osgAL, etc, project maintainers willing)
and
perhaps host them on the main OSG SVN and wiki, but NOT have them be considered
an
official part of the OSG "kernel". What I'm trying to achieve is offering new
(and
existing!) developers a more complete picture of what's available for OSG,
WITHOUT
incurring any new testing and maintenance load for Robert.

  These new parts might not be able to be fully maintained (we just don't have
the people
to do this), but we could perhaps note when they were last verified to be
functional with
the current OSG, and what OSG version that was.