Paul Martz wrote:
> data. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with other OSG code that is not
> under my control.
> I'd be glad to implement something like this in osgWorks.googlecode.com,
> but it would have to ride on UserData rather than be a part of core OSG,
> which would put it in conflict with any other code that already uses
> UserData, thereby rendering it pretty much useless.

  Yeah, this is my worry. Let's say osgOcean used UserData. And then osgBullet
used
UserData. Now, you cannot use osgOcean and osgBullet together because they both
want
UserData to themselves. I am ok using UserData in my actual apps, but in any
code I might
share with others, I refrain from "stealing" it, as I'm sure everyone wants it
for their
app-side code.

  If we came up with a system like Ulrich proposes, perhaps it would be worthy
enough to
merit a change to the core to support it? It seems like if we're worried about
bloating
the memory footprint of the base Object class, then it might be worth
considering
incorporating the Description API into the design, so that the new design could
use the
space already dedicated to Description, but in some sort of heterogeneous
rather than
homogeneous container. I don't know how this would be done, but I imagine we
could keep
the existing Description API unchanged for code that uses it, without breaking
anything.