On 12/9/2009 5:09 PM, stefan) wrote:
> So, we have been working on this open source, osg-based app framework
> for linux, osx, and windows. It's a fun project but on windows (only!)
> it is still acting up. We get this super-undescriptive non-fatal
> pop-up:
> "windows has triggered a breakpoint"
> "this may be due to corruption of the heap"
> See: http://sceneexpression.googlecode.com/files/vs-issue.png
> After clicking "Continue" a couple of times the app runs fine just
> like on the other platforms. What we would be most interested in, are
> there typical causes for this in regard to osg?

  Well, I can't comment on relating to OSG, but this is usually going to be
related to
memory overruns. Are you in a debug build? The debug builds have extra padding
on
allocation (guard regions) that are checked at various times. If the guard
regions are
damaged, the compiler will warn you, but it's non-fatal because the guard
region took the
hit instead of your real data. But it is a REAL error, because in a non-debug
build your
real data would have probably been trashed.

  Tools like valgrind on Linux might point out the same issue, if it exists on
Linux.

  I'd start by examining code _prior_ to the exception. The exception is
telling you the
damage has been done, but basically triggers AFTER the offending code.

> If any of you feel super-helpful and want to give the project a quick spin:
> http://labs.nortd.com/sx/downloads/
> A long guide is here:
> http://code.google.com/p/sceneexpression/wiki/GettingStartedOnWindows

  I do have a favor to ask. Your project is called Scene Expression, and that's
kind of
uncomfortably close to a tool my company makes called Scene Express:
http://www.google.com/search?q=scene+express&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

  which incorporates an OSG-based landscape viewer (NatureView Express) and has
been
around since 2003: http://3dnature.com/history.html

  Would you mind considering changing the name of your toolkit to something a
little more
different from my company's product?

  I'm interested in your project as I have considered doing an OSG application
framework
myself at times. Yours seems a little different than the goals I wanted to
pursue, but it
looks very nice for what you're trying to accomplish.