Hi Guy,

This might sound like an odd question, but is there a way to disable rendering
(no culling and no draw) while still allowing intersections. The reason why I
am asking is because I have a distributed system - i.e. some applications only
performs  intersections with the scene without rendering it. In addition, the
osg update call must still occur since that's where some of my animation states
gets uptate, which will change the outcome of intersection results (like
sprites).

Intersections are completely separate from cull and draw, so you can always do intersections even if no rendering is happening.

But the hard part is getting the update visitor to run on your subgraph but not the cull visitor (the results of the cull visitor are used for rendering, so if the cull visitor doesn't run on a subgraph then that subgraph will not be rendered). There's a few ways to do it, I guess I would do that with a cull callback set on the root node of the subgraph you don't want to render, and which doesn't call traverse(node, nv);. That way the cull traversal will stop there for that subgraph, and won't visit the children. But since there's no similar update callback, the update traversal will traverse the whole thing.

Hope this helps,

J-S