I finally managed to track down the reason for this behaviour!

I have been able to isolate the piece of code that was causing the problem.
I was using an osgViewer::CompositeViewer and noticed that if I decreased the
Viewport size of my osgViewer::View to a couple of pixel less than the main
Window the problem (bad rendering times) disappeared.  :O
It reappeared as soon as I restored the Viewport size to the full window....
[Exclamation]

This was suggesting to me that something could be wrong with my graphic driver
(I have an NVIDIA FX 770M and the driver was the 185.85).
As soon as I upgraded the driver to the latest version 191.87 the problem
disappeared!!

I just wanted to share with everyone this experience...

Cheers

Andrea