Hi Robert,

The fact is  that right now, there's one person with commit access.

Errr no. This is not fact.

There are several developers with commit access to svn/trunk and
svn/branches.  In the case of svn/trunk those with commit access are
for specific portions that they are the lead author to.

You know full well I meant commit access to the core on svn trunk. That's the main point right now.

I will state again.  svn access does not scale like testing and
debugging does.  You can't scale up commit access and retain quality,
consistency and productivity.  Might I suggest reading a text like the
Mythical Man Month will give you a few pointers about the delicate
balance of development scaling.

Believe it or not, I have read that and I agree with most of its points. BUT I didn't suggest scaling up to thousands of people. I suggested two or three more. And taking any point written in a book as an absolute is risky.

You conveniently ignore my point about other open source projects. What did you understand that they all ignored? I guess I should just expect Boost, Blender, all those successful projects that have multiple people committing to their central svn to fail tomorrow, they can't possibly prosper a day more... (please take that as what it is, it's sarcasm designed to make you think about what other projects do, nothing more)

One of the pioneering open source projects is Mozilla (once Netscape, then Mozilla, then Firefox and Thunderbird and others). I've had the chance to submit a few fixes to that project and see how they handled them. They have a group of reviewers, one of which gets assigned to your patch / bug report, depending on their area of expertise and the part of the code your patch touches. If the patch touches multiple areas, multiple reviewers get assigned. The reviewer(s) approve the patch (or it goes through a few iterations with the submitter before being approved), and then a second reviewer who doesn't know about the problem has to check it and approve it too, and finally the first reviewer can commit it. If a patch gets committed without this two-level review, then it gets backed out because it hasn't been approved correctly.

I'm not suggesting we go to that level of organized process, I'm just saying that if that process has worked for them, then taking bits of it and adapting them could work for us. And saying that scaling up svn (revision control - they used CVS at the time) access doesn't work is just false.

I have trouble believing you want to keep all that pressure on your shoulders. Believe it or not even you have broken the build and introduced bugs too. There must be one or two other people in whom you have some confidence, and that you could include and give some submissions to review...

J-S