Hi Torben,

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Torben Dannhauer <z...@saguaro-fight-club.de
> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> There is a mechanism to cap the number of open files? I haven't found this
> option despite my source code dive-in...

A quick grep reveals points me at VirtualPlanetBuilder/src/vpb/System.cpp:

    str = getenv("VPB_MAXIMUM_NUM_OPEN_DATASETS");
    if (str)
    {
        _maxNumDatasets = atoi(str);
    }

So try setting the env var VPB_MAXIMUM_NUM_OPEN_DATASETS to a value
underneath your OS's limits on number of open files.   The default value is
set thus:

    _maxNumDatasets = (unsigned int)(double(vpb::getdtablesize()) * 0.8);

So it does attempt to look at what your OS is set up to handle, perhaps the
0.8 ratio is overly optimistic, or perhaps part of the VPB setup isn't using
the _maxNumDatasets correctly.