Jesper D. Thomsen wrote:
Hi again, thank you very much for your insight.

I have now tried using nodemasks to hide inactive objects by applying nodemasks
to their transforms. However, my primary problem remains. I see a massive
speedup in general drawing speed, but the picker still finds geodes in empty
spots on the screen (always close to actual objects), and when it finds such a
geode it causes the multi-second pause. In my previous version this also
happened when there were empty branches of the OSG graph with no drawables
attached to the geodes, but it didn't happen when everything was visible (even
though this meant that the number of objects on screen was a magnitude larger).
In my current version, I have the same OSGgraph as in my previous version with
all objects visible, but now with nodemasks applied to cut off invisible
branches. Could it be possible that I need to call dirtybound() or something
like that on the nodes with nodemasks applied to get correct picking?
Is there reason to believe that using switch-nodes would yield better results?

Hi Jesper,

I seem to remember seeing behavior like this before. After a couple of times back and forth on the list, I ultimately discovered that I had some garbage data in the scene, and the OSG intersect code was tripping all over itself trying to intersect with NaN values. This is just a possibility, though. The problem could be a number of things.

You might want to try setting the OSGNOTIFYLEVEL environment variable to DEBUG and see if that gives you any clues what might be going on.

--"J"