> Wouldn't there have been a way to keep it compatible with both? (#ifdefs or
> something)

I would have if I could have without making the code nightmarishly
complicated but the structure of how animations are presented by the SDK is
very different now.

> Also, will the new sdk/plugin read older files (that the old plugin read
> fine)? I guess the answer is yes, otherwise you wouldn't have modified the
> plugin in that way, but then where does the incompatibility come from?

You guess correctly, yes old files read fine :) I should have said the
latest SDK breaks compatibility with previous versions* of the plugin code*;
there's no break in compatibility with any .fbx files.