Hi Paul,
    I have followed your suggestions:
- by using command osgvolume it is possible to obtain OSG output file  (with
related DDS texture file) or to obtain an IVE file: these are correctly
visualized with command osgviewer;
- the FLT file generated by using command osgconv to convert from OSG or IVE
format to FLT (OpenFlight) format is basically empty without substantial
information related to volumes, imagelayers , references to external textures
file and so on.
So you are right because if I re-convert the FLT file to a second OSG or IVE
output file than these are not more correctly visualized: by editing all these
files with a Text Editor I can compare first correct OSG output file with
second OSG output file with lost information.

So I supposed that the FLT_WRITER code of flt_plugin could be rewritten by me
to allow a correct conversion from OSG or IVE to FLT format.

I'm taking it useful to use this forum to know if someone have encountered the
same conversion problems from a specific format to FLT format: so I can
understand if I'm missing something about correct use of OpenSceneGraph
commands (or implemented code) or if it is actually necessary to implement
their own additional code for FLT_Plugin made available in the OpenSceneGraph
2.9.6 version.

Thanks again for your attention and for your eventual new answer based on your
knowledge in this context.