Hi,

OpenAL (the original one by Creative) is unmaintained and almost
no-one uses it  anymore. The only interest in it is the support for
hw accelerated spatialization (HRTFs), but almost no current drivers
support that for OpenAL anyway.
All Linux distros use OpenAL-soft these days and it has become a
kind-of reference implementation.
Multichannel sound (5.1+) works fine with it.

Jan