From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of
Giovanni Ferrari
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:28 AM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: [osg-users] OSG and vsync

Hi,

i'm developing an application that need vsync to avoid tearing but i'm
having some problems.
Here is the (really simplified) code structure of my application:

Code:

while ( !mViewer->done() ) {
  mGraph->Update(...);
  mViewer->frame();
}

I've noticed frame() function is blocking when vsync is enabled.
This means that i call the frame function, i stay blocked for something
like 20ms (50hz PAL), and then i must terminate the Update call in the
vsync period otherwise i won't be able to draw a new frame ( the graphic
card draw the old content of frame buffer without changes performed in
the update function. Changes will be performed in the next frame ).

As you can immagine this is a big problem for real-time applications
cause i'm introducing 20ms of retard.

Is there a way to syncronize frame call without using vsync ? or can i
scompose the frame function to be able to separate functions that
operate on the graph from those that perform the rendering ?
The second solution could help me cause i would be able to operate on
the graph with mGraph->Update(...) even if the frame "part" that write
the frameBuffer is blocked.

I hope i've explained my problem clearly.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Giovanni

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED