Hi Robert, John,

Guarding the FRAMEWORK keyword sounds like the sensible thing to do,
it's a bit of pain, but it would allow those using cmake out of the
box on older OS spins to keep working.

Yes, but who will do it? It would need to be someone who runs into the problem... John, do you have a bit of time to look into it?

In theory you'd just have to surround lines that have FRAMEWORK with if(APPLE)...ELSE()...ENDIF() constructs. Hopefully you won't have to copy whole blocks into the ELSE side, otherwise you could make a macro you put in the CMakeModules/OSGMacroUtils.cmake that would do what you need, i.e. omit FRAMEWORK on non-APPLE configs.

Argh, messy... :-)

So far it hasn't been a big problem, but it's something we should
monitor - just how hassle is it to support older CMake versions.  On a
pure engineering standpoint I'd rather we'd just have a single CMake
min version as well, but from a pragmatic standpoint it can shift the
a small amount of disruption in one place to more disruption
elsewhere.  Where to draw the line is the difficult thing, something I
try to do on a case by case basis when reviewing submissions, and by
monitoring the pain threshold out in the community.

I agree with you, and I remembered that some systems and distributions are stuck on old versions for a long time (as is the case for John), so yeah, going around guarding the FRAMEWORK keyword is pretty much the only thing we can do.

Thanks,

J-S