Ting,

Your Boston.ive terrain is in a projected coordinate system (UTM). Your
.earth file is set to create a geocentric map (round-earth). These are not
compatible. You need to pick one or the other. If you pick projected, you
will also need to tell osgEarth what the profile is for the data. You can do
this by including a <profile> tag (see:
http://osgearth.org/wiki/MapElementProfile).

Or course, you could skip the VPB creation altogether and simply load the
Boston TIFFs directly into osgEarth using the GDAL driver (see:
http://osgearth.org/wiki/TileSourcePluginGDAL).

Glenn