Hi Thomas,

In svn/trunk there is support for extensible native binary format, the
serialization scheme that underpins this also support reading/writing
to ascii and xml format as well.  This will of be part of the 2.9.9
I'll make next week.  The author of this work is Wang Rui, and he's
wirtten a number of posts of the list about it, as well as post an
explanation on the wiki so go have a search for background reading.
You'll also find examples of how to set up serializers in the
src/osgWrappers/serializers/* directories.

In previous stable versions of the OSG (i.e. 2.8.3 and before) there
is only the .ive native binary, but this isn't extensible so doesn't
support serialization of your own classes.

Robert.