On Saturday 02 October 2010 11:52:08 Alberto Luaces wrote:
> Changing the subject since this is a different topic.

Sorry, was by accident.

> Werner Modenbach writes:
> > Can you please give a compareable short explanation on how frame() calls
> > are generated and what happens inside then?
> > The background of my question is the behaviour and the experience I got
> > with Qt Adapterwidget. There we have a timer calling frame() every xx
> > msec. On many systems this drives CPU activity to almost 100% - even if
> > nothing happenes and nothing changed in the scene.
>
> The best way of seeing it is in the source code. frame() is not a
> complicated function at all, but launches the update, cull and render
> traversals every time it is called. Obviously, if nothing in your scene
> changes and you don't need to redraw, you could avoid calling it.
>
> This is a snippet from frame (ViewerBase.cpp):
>
>     eventTraversal();
>     updateTraversal();
>     renderingTraversals();

Yes, I have seen this small sequence :-)

But I have no idea which of the 3 calls takes so much CPU power, even if
nothing changed. Which method might cause my problems?
What about the dirty flags? Can I use them in any reasonable kind to improve
the behaviour?

Or does this mean I have to keep track of any changes in the scene and any
events outside?