Hi guys,

On 15/12/10 6:42 , Stephan Huber wrote:
> Am 14.12.10 12:40, schrieb Christian Buchner:
>> 1) what is the shortest distance that you can place yourself (or
>> objects) in front of the Kinect and get good readings?
>
> the shortest distance is approx 50cm, the longest distance is about
> 4.5m, it depends on your lighting conditions, after all the kinect
> projects a point-grid into the room via infrared. As infrared is part of
> the sprectrum emitted by the sun, the kinect works IMHO better  without
> direct sunlight :)

>From what I've heard you actually need some distance (2-3m) for best *game*
>experience.
The case might be different for other applications.

>> 2) is the IR beam safe to the eyes when placing your face in front of
>> the sensor at short distance? I am worried about hurting the retina.
>
> I think it is safe, as it's a consumer product and has AFAIK no laser
> inside.

IR can damage your eyes just as well, although not as instantaneously.  But
since you
can't see the beam your pupil doesn't contract and there's a lot more energy
entering the
eye ball.

But that's more of a concern for proper IR lights that put out a non-trivial
amount of
energy.  I'd think the IR on something like the Kinect is more like the IR on a
remote
control.

Hm, that does sound oddly familiar: we tried to use IR light combined with a
camera to
determine objects in the foreground from the background in a project once... is
that what
MS is doing?  (We gave that up because of the above-mentioned potential damage
to the eyes
from the IR light.)

Cheers,
/ulrich