I've used the OpenNI framework and it doesn't work with the Kinect out
of the box. The reason for that is that OpenNI targets PrimeSense's
reference platform, not the Kinect, which is a product based on it and
not actually produced by PrimeSence, as far as I know.

However, some people have already modified the drivers to recognise
the Kinect and use it with OpenNI [1]. To use it, first install that
modified driver and then the normal OpenNI. The sample applications of
OpenNI then recognise the Kinect. PrimeSense also distribute NITE,
which is a closed source package that extends OpenNI with a pretty
good skeleton tracker and a few other nice things.

Christian.

[1] <https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect/tree/master/Bin> (Windows
only, but build general build instructions inside)