I am using osg::EllipsoidModel::convertLatLongHeightToXYZ() method to convert
the coordinates as such:

osg:::EllipsoidModel em;
em.convertLatLongHeightToXYZ(_lat,_long,_alt, x,y,z);

when building the model I used osgdem with the following parameters:
osgdem --geocentric  -d  dted_dir  -o terrain.ive

dted_dir contains dted files in a certain directory structure defined in
dted-standard. I checked the validty of the dted with a commercial software,
the geographic ranges are consistent with osgdem without --geocentric parameter
(I looked at the contents of the height field of the first subtile:  lod=0) so
there is no problem with the input file, I am sure of that.

-deniz