On 3/22/2011 10:27 AM, Peter Hrenka wrote:
> You could use a geometry shader to calculate
> the normals on the GPU. The geometry shader
> basically "sees" the whole primitive and can
> can therefore perform the normal calculation
> of a deforming geometry.

  I have been told by some hardware engineers that geometry shaders can be a
pipeline
bottleneck. Essentially, there may only be one of them on your GPU, so
primitives may need
to go through singly, and the rasterization pipeline will stall waiting for it,
which
could greatly decrease your performance.

  I would test this before committing to this solution.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/