On 4/3/2011 9:38 AM, Martin Haffner wrote:
> The question I am asking this: I have a long road (lets say 3km) and I want
> to divide the road in segments (say 200m per segment). Now I want to use LOD
> for the segments. For example if the camera is close to segment 2, segment 2
> should be rendered with high poly count. The adjacent segments 1 and 3 with
> medium poly count and segments with are even further away with low poly count.
> How would I achieve this with openscenegraph (I am very new to osg)?
> My current idea: One root group node for the whole track with N child group
> nodes (one for each segment). Then each segment node (of type group) has one
> child: an LOD node with 3 children: 3 geodes with high, mid and low polygon
> geometry entries.
> Is this correct or am I totally wrong?

  That's fine.

  That's nothing like your original questioning.

  Basically, the LOD Node is intended that each of its children should roughly
be
representations of the same entity, in the same place, but with different
degrees of
detail. So, using it as intended (as you propose here) should be fine. Getting
weird with
extreme transforms to move the children about relative to each other is a
recipe for a mess.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/