On 4/9/2011 8:53 AM, pma...@skew-matrix.com wrote:
> I'm fairly certain there's a way to create a window that's not visible,
> supported by all
> three major windowing APIs. I know that's not quite what your looking for,
> but it's an option.

  I've done this approach in the past in other apps, and I always found
weirdness lurking
in the non-visible windows. Especially as MSWin and Linux windows managers
evolve, there
was a tendency for them to 'find' my non-visible windows and list them in
ALT+TAB or other
task/window displays.

> I do agree with J-S, I think you need to have a context current to something.
> Since the
> calling app appears to already have a context current to a visible window, it
> seems like
> the best solution would be for your code to bind the FBO, render to texture,
> then unbind
> and return to the calling app -- all while the callng app's context is
> current to its
> visible window.

  This would be smart, but I'm loathe to encourage any cross-contamination
between the
existing context already bound to a visible window. Again, not for any specific
reason,
just a "here there be dragons" kind of gut instinct.

  Thanks everyone for the input. The PBuffer approach I've already gotten to
work seems
good enough, and safe, so I'll proceed with that. And I'm much more enlightened
than a few
days ago.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com