I think the metadata system under discussion will be useful for
associating scene graph nodes with their owner entities.  This is
necessary for various scene-graph oriented operations like picking,
custom culling, etc that need to refer back to your application domain
entities .  You certainly could use it to store your entity components,
but that should be up to the user.  I think we need to be careful to
avoid scope creep.

This discussion does bring up one related issue, though.  Regarding
serialization, I had been thinking that the metadata system should only
be allowed to contain data that can be safely serialized.  I realize now
that is wrong, for precisely this issue that the metadata system will be
used to hold pointers to application domain entities that are opaque to
the serialization system.

Peter

On 4/20/2011 8:30 AM, Sergey Kurdakov wrote:
> Hi Sukender,
>
>> However I think the entity thing is far more "high level" than just metas.
> that is correct.
>
> still there is need to assemble metas as objects into something useful  and
> also exchange info ( message system ).
>
> this functionality  might be a separate addition,  but it's presence ( or
> considering it's use with metas; I'm not sure, but it might add some
> additional fields, methods etc ) will greatly extend 'use' cases
> to jump start to apply your metas in projects.
>
> Regards
> Sergey

Peter Amstutz
Senior Software Engineer