On 5/11/2011 1:46 PM, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com
<mailto:pma...@skew-matrix.com>> wrote:

    On 5/11/2011 11:20 AM, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

        On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com
        <mailto:pma...@skew-matrix.com>
        <mailto:pma...@skew-matrix.com <mailto:pma...@skew-matrix.com>>> wrote:

            On 5/10/2011 7:11 PM, Paul Martz wrote:

                On 5/3/2011 3:02 PM, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

                    I'd like to propose my fixes that I sent in on -submissions
                    pre-2.8.4: all
                    except the VC2010 build fix still apply. They are these two:

                    Improvements to osgconv:

https://github.com/rpavlik/osg/compare/OpenSceneGraph-2.8...improve-osgconv

                    (I've also forward-ported these to trunk:
        https://github.com/rpavlik/osg/compare/master...improve-osgconv-trunk )

                So, if I understand correctly, you did not post this change to
                osg-submissions
                for inclusion in OSG's svn trunk, is that correct? Or, you did
post
                them, but
                they are awaiting action by Robert?

                Has anyone other than you tested the changes?

                What, exactly, are these improvements to osgconv? (No, I haven't
        looked
                at the
                code -- yet.)

            Having reviewed the code, I see two changes:

            1) A simple change to an error message in osgconv.cpp. Looks
        straightforward.

            2) A change to the image file name format as output by the dot OSG
        plugin.
            Not sure I understand this one, but it doesn't appear to be an
        "improvement
            to osgconv". Did you include this by mistake?

               -Paul

        No, the .osg plugin modification essentially only affects use of
        osgconv.  What
        it does is, if  the OutputTextureFiles option is turned on (such as by
        passing
        -O OutputTextureFiles to osgconv),

    ...or anytime "OutputTextureFiles" is present in the Options string. This
    functionality is orthogonal to osgconv. Any application can access it
    anytime they write a dot OSG file. This change will affect more than
osgconv.

       -Paul

Well, yes. In retrospect, I didn't name the patch very accurately given its
contents - I created it while working on osgconv which is presumably why I
mentioned osgconv in the name.

In any case, we can consider it as a separate patch, to the .osg writer plugin.
My intent was to make saving models with textures to OSG format work better.  In
all of the following cases, insert the qualification "with OutputTextureFiles
enabled" - behavior does not change unless this option is added. Before and
after the patch, loading an .osg model in the place where it was initially saved
works. After the patch, however, the textures go to a subdirectory named in a
way that clearly links it with the model that uses it, and loading the saved
model from another location as long as the textures were also copied/moved works
correctly.  The only case I can see that worked before and won't work after, is
if the .osg file alone is moved/copied somewhere else, but the textures remain
in the originally-exported location. (This is due to the fact that it now
exports relative paths.)

As a useful side-effect (for privacy/security) of using relative paths, .osg
files saved with this option turned on don't reveal details about the file
organization of the computer they were saved on.

Would this be an improvement that would better be separated into a distinct
option string like OutputRelativeTextures or something like that?

Yes, that's the way I'm leaning now. Your patch changes behavior, and would break any apps or utilities that depend on the current behavior. I'd be a lot more comfortable with this if it were a feature addition rather than a change to existing functionality.

Do you think "OutputRelativeTextures" is a good name for it? If so, I can rewrite the submission locally (but you'll need to test it).
   -Paul