Thanks for the reply.  As you can see in the code snippet, the text is changed
in the render loop before I call the frame() function.  I would have thought
that all of the processing to update the text position and ready the text to be
rendered would complete before the updateText function completed.

This is the same as in my code here.  I take user input via a GUIEventHandler
subclass and hold that until the render loop calls for the user input.  So, all
user input is considered before the frame() function is called including the
call to change text.  I guess this is what is confusing me; if I call
setText(std::string) before I call frame() shouldn't the osgText::Text object
have all of its data primed and ready before the drawing update occurs?

I apologize if the first sentence seems boorish but it was the best way I could
put it without writing a paragraph or two.

Josh