Hi All,

I would like to start a discussion about migrating our website and
version control services to new servers and feel this might be a good
opportunity to change the technology that we use on the server for
providing the website and version control services.  One of the
reasons that adds a little imperative to the move is that the current
hosts of our server AI2, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain,
look unlikely to be able to continue providing due to funding cuts.
Technology wise it would also be good to find a better wiki and
version control system.  We also need engineers to help out with
migration and ongoing maintenance of new servers and services that
will be moving too.

There is a wide range of different hosts and technologies we could
use, and I'm happy to admit that I'm no expect in hosting, webserves,
wiki management, version control systems, but this is a huge community
so no doubt there is lots opinions, and perhaps even a few experts out
there that might be able to help out with great suggestions and time
to make things happen.

To help kick things off.  On the hosting side I currently have a
Dreamhost account that provides the mailing lists services that we
currently use, and my account looks to be sufficient for provide a
Tracs and Subversion services as well - so pontentially we could move
to Dreamhost and rely upon them for management of the server and
server software and let us concentrate on the content.  I really don't
know how well this would work out having not tried to migrate services
other than mailman across to them.  If we do have to move existing
services across quickly this might be strong contender.

Technology wise I am comfortable with Subversion, but for fully
distributed it's not as powerful as newer technologies like git.
We've discussed both Mercurial and git on the mailing list before as
possible contenders and feedback I've got from various experiments out
in the community is that git looks to be most practical for our needs.
 Rather spend lots of time discussing the pros and cons of these two
technologies I'm happy to narrow things down to migrating to git.
What is open for discussion is really when and how we migrate to git.

One possibility with migrating to git would be to have our own server,
use a host like Dreamhost or go with another 3rd party like github.
For the latter there is already a mirror of our subversion repository
hosted over at github maintained by members of the community (please
come forward as I've forgotten who set it up :-) :

      https://github.com/openscenegraph/osg

I haven't used git too much yet other than to check out third party
libs, but when the time comes I'll just have to roll my sleeves and
dive and learn to use it properly.

github also now have their own wiki, Gollum:

    https://github.com/features/projects/wikis

I know nothing about Gollum so can't comment on it, I'm not overly
impressed by Tracs - it's been sufficient but not that that powerful,
so I'm reluctant to go with yet another dev wiki that is almost by not
quite as powerful as the likes of MediaWiki.  I have to admit that I
really don't know too much about the practical behind the scenes
management of MediaWiki let alone Gollum and Tracs so I really need to
feedback from the community of the various strengths, weaknesses and
practicalities.

Finally once we've decided upon hosts for our needs, and the
technologies that we migrate too we'll need to do the migration of our
present wiki and version control systems.  We'll need the engineers to
help our with coordinating and undertaking this work. Once we've got a
basic plan and the people in place we start migrating bit by bit.

I look forward to your thoughts and in particular your offers of assistance ;-)