Hi Gianni,

In addition to the combined flag, I just noticed we are also applying the
material as close to the geometry as possible.

Let's say you have a top level group node that is your root.  The children
of that group can either be geometry nodes or other groups.  In our
project, when applying the new material, we essentially traverse each group
node in search of geometry, and then only apply the material to the
geometry nodes.

I would warn you that this approach probably will not work very well for
level of detail nodes, since the geometry is dynamically loaded/unloaded as
needed as a function of viewing distance.  In that case, you should
probably apply the material to the top level node returned from the
geometry loader, since that node is probably the only persistent node for
that geometry.  This is the approach we have taken, and we just accept
whatever results we get.

I would have expected your original approach to work, but, since it appears
that does not work, you might try something like the above approach.  I
would hope this would get you closer to the results you're looking for, but
I can't make any guarantees.  How you would implement that approach will
have to be up to you, since you know your goals and your system best.

I hope this helps...

D.J.