update:

i found this thread
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=9176
and using this command

Code:
_viewer->setRunFrameScheme(osgViewer::ViewerBase::ON_DEMAND);

i got rid of the annoying irresponsivness. i am still getting the error though.

however, i bumped into another issue - sometimes when i close the secondary RTT
window my application terminates. i am using a handler to terminate the
application if the MAIN (scene) window is closed.

Code:
bool WindowCloseHandler::handle(const osgGA::GUIEventAdapter& ea,
osgGA::GUIActionAdapter& aa) {
  if (!ea.getHandled() && ea.getEventType() ==
osgGA::GUIEventAdapter::CLOSE_WINDOW) {
    osgViewer::View *view = dynamic_cast<osgViewer::View *> (&aa);
    if (view == _wm->getRTTView()) {
      // save window state
      _wm->saveRTTViewState();
    } else if (view == _wm->getSceneView()) {
      // terminate the app
      _wm->getViewer()->setDone(true);
    }
  }
  return false;
}

_wm is an instance of my window manager that stores the composite viewer and
its two views and other stuff.

how come my app terminates from time to time when closing the RTT window ?