Hello Jason,

On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Jason Daly wrote:

> On 01/27/2012 02:12 PM, Paul Martz wrote:
>> Sorry, I was going off your post that read "This leads me to believe that bus
>> contention was causing the lack of scalability." I was just trying to
>> outline a
>> way to validate that suspicion. If you've already ruled out bus contention,
>> then
>> disregard my post.
>
> Hi, Paul,
>
> I'm not dismissing your post at all.  It's certainly worth thinking about the
> overall bandwidth, and how much of it might be consumed by the GL command
> stream.  I like your equation as a general guideline.  One just has to keep
> in mind that 500MB/sec is the bandwidth for a single PCI-e 2.0 lane.  Most
> graphics cards get 8 lanes, if not 16, and that's per card.  You also have to
> account for the CPU interconnect bandwidth, which may put an upper limit on
> how much data you can transfer with multiple cards (theoretically 12.8GB/s on
> this hardware).
>
> In this particular case, I think Tim is right.  There's not enough data in
> the command stream to get near the bus bandwidth.  In this case, there are
> two 8x PCI-e cards (total of 8GB/s bandwidth) feeding 4 GPU's (two QuadroPlex
> D2 units).  Using your figures:
>
>      2 * 8 * 500 MB/s
> ----------------------------- = 5648 Hz
> 4 * ( (5500 * 64 B) + 2048 B)
>

> So, unless I'm missing something, the problem must be elsewhere  :-)

We run a very similar system with 5 quadro cards and do not run into these
problems with very large models. We are using VR Juggler though. I mention this
because it would be very straight forward to use one of the sample OGL VR
Juggler examples as a test application that would load an OBJ file or something
to provide a raw OGL benchmark for the hardware. You could also use one of the
sample OSG applications to do a comparison to at least provide a place to start
working from in terms of figuring out your core issues.

Doug