I have two machine that are trying to open the same set of generated OSG files.

When I open the sample cow.osg on the OpenGL4 machine, the cow looks
metallic and shiny.   When it is opened on the OpenGL3 machine, the
cow is white and matted.

Then when I try to open the osg that I generated on the OpenGL4 using
these instructions
http://www.openscenegraph.org/documentation/osgdem.html (instead of
ive, I use the osg extension).

When I try to open the generated osg file on the opengl3 machine, the
osgviewer crashes with the some error message in the console.

Error: glGenBuffers not supported by OpenGL driver
Error: glBindBuffer not supported by OpenGL driver
Error: glBufferData not supported by OpenGL driver

I noticed that the command line arguments on osgdem.exe specifies that
OpenGL compression to be used.   But when I generated the osg files, I
did not explicitly use the opengl compression parameters.

Is that a safe way to generate these OSG files to use a lower version
OpenGL driver?    I am developing a product where I cannot always
force the users to upgrade their hardware.

( assuming the OpenGL3 based machines are around for 5 or less years)