OpenGL 4.x also has extensions which permit an A-buffer implementation:

http://blog.icare3d.org/2010/07/opengl-40-abuffer-v20-linked-lists-of.html

I've tested this example (and fixed some of the source), but I have not
tried to implement it in OSG. The technique does work, and works well, if
rock-solid transparency is you primary goal and you're willing to accept
the other costs that come with this technique.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Christian Buchner <
christian.buch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's definitely sample code for depth peeling available
> (osgdepthpeeling)
>
> Sorting of geodes by distance is also implemented as a render bin feature
> - but sorting at geode level may be a bit too coarse.
>
> Transparency has been an issue in many forum/mailing list topics - because
> it's hard and non-trivial. Maybe try searching for those threads.
>
> Christian

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Digital Imaging • GIS • GPS • Telemetry • Cryptography • Digital Audio •
LIDAR • Kinect • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel