There is only one model in the scene, but it is traversed and rendered twice with the two different effects. You said you were doing multipass rendering, and this is how multipass rendering is done in OSG. To avoid having one rendering on top of the other, you use blending** to composite the two renderings together.

** (Or some other mechanism, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.)
   -Paul